Tsumbedzo in action during the Haenertsburg vegetation survey under the guidance of aquatic scientist Thabo Mohlala
Tsumbedzo assists learners with vegetation sampling and their presentations during the grade 11 science camp
Chemical oxygen demand analysis in water under the guidance of aquatic scientist Thabo Mohlala

In terms of learning activities and general workload, the Ndlovu Node internship programme reminded me of the qualities of an elephant – large and unique.

These activities inspired me to sleep less and form an emotional connection to my work.

The programme was designed and implemented in a way that ensured long-term retention of scientific methods, best-practice workplace conduct and creative scientific communication, just some of the skills I acquired during the internship.

Below is a brief summary of the activities in which I participated and the knowledge and skills I have gained:

Forb traits database, technical skills, compilation of photo album and data collection

Adaptability, dependability, teamwork, communication, technological literacy and organisational skills, coupled with being ‘coachable’, are some of the transferable skills I acquired, honed and demonstrated during the year of my internship…